Monday, June 9, 2008

Bada-Boom!

Although we just wrote about how we love Sundays, this past one was difficult for us. I brought home an illness that got both Amy and I down for the weekend. We did make it to our 9am meeting, which we love! But something heart breaking happened on our way.

We walked out of our house anticipating a lovely day and even better spirit since we switched to an early meeting schedule. But as we approached our car, we noticed our neighbors looking across the street at our other car. They were shaking their heads and saying how horrible something was. Well once our eyes adjusted to the bright sun, we saw a distressing site.



My driver side rear window had been broken by something. It's easy to see how someone's actions could ruin your whole day, but surprisingly I wasn't really phased by it (until later). I actually thought, "Well that sucks, but I'm in need of forgiveness just as badly as the people who did this to my car." It sounds cheesy, but all the stuff I heard in church that day, and from a fireside we went to that night, made me think of the atonement and how much I need the Lord's forgiveness in my own life. I needed to forgive in order to be forgiven.

Now after church, upon talking to the police and our Farmers agent, I felt a little less Christ-like, but that's another story.

In all there were 16 cars vandalized in our area that night and since no one was caught, we were all left to deal with this mess in our own way. I think I handled it quite well considering the circumstances. Hopefully I will have more opportunities to display similar good behavior, just not more opportunities that cost quite so much coinage.

5 comments:

leslie jo said...

I am so sorry! That totally sucks! good on you to forgive I would have had a hard time doing that. Your little one is just a doll!

Loco Bozo said...

that bites the big one. I know exactly how you feel. only when my car was vandalize I only had the minimum coverage, not comprehensive coverage. so I had to take a bigger loss on the mula part. it also happened on a sunday

Lindz said...

That is horrible. I can't believe that this person did it to 16 cars and they didn't get caught by the noise. I am so sorry.

Jim Innes said...

That is horrible, but I am glad you took it so well. A few weeks ago I had the drivers side of my car spray painted overnight. Luckily, they only hit the windows and plastic so I was able to get the paint all off in abotu an hour - but they did hit some other cars that were not so lucky.

Meredith said...

You have such a great outlook. Lily is just so perky and cute though, she's sure to brighten your hard days. We love and miss yoy guys!